Diabetes Self-Management with KentuckyCare
Diabetes can lead to serious health complications, including heart and kidney problems. Lowering your risk of these complications means following a diabetes management plan to keep your blood sugar levels under control.
If you have been diagnosed with this disease, KentuckyCare offers individualized diabetes management plans that give you the resources you need to stay healthy.
Our self-management program for diabetes, which is recognized by the American Association of Diabetes Educators, includes the following resources:
• Personalized assessment
• Nutrition information and planning with guidance from a registered dietitian
• Diabetes education in classroom settings or one-on-one instruction
• Support group resources
• Classes in cooking and physical fitness
If you are at risk of diabetes but haven’t been tested for it, keep in mind that you should watch for signs and symptoms of this disease. If you have any, seek a medical diagnosis as soon as possible. The main symptoms of type 2 diabetes include the following:
• Urinating more often
• Being thirstier than usual
• Losing weight without any explanation, such as dieting
• Feeling fatigued
• Having blurry vision
• Having sores that heal slowly and frequent infections
For more information on diabetes self management or to schedule an appointment for diabetes testing, please contact your nearest KentuckyCare location.